SeriouslyGuys

Monday, June 18, 2007

The McBournie Minute: Flying

Attention, everyone in the concourse, The McBournie Minute has been delayed due to maintenance issues. We regret the inconvenience.

It's late today because of an adventure I was on recently, brought to you by airlines. That's why today I'm saluting the airline industry. I know it's cliche to make fun of airlines at this point, but this is more than that. This is a tale of unspeakable horror.

This weekend I was in Savannah, Georgia. Why? None of your beeswax, buddy. The flight down had some issues and I missed a connecting flight, so I figured the ride back would be clear. I was pretty sure this was true for a few moments after my first flight landed in Charlotte, North Carolina, where I was to transfer and fly to Washington-Dulles. Then I looked at the departures list and saw my flight was canceled for no reason.

I was treated to about an hour waiting in the customer service line and a frantic call to the customer service hotline. I won't identify the airline, but let's just say it claims the airways over America as its home. I got a standby on the last flight to Dulles that night, but didn't get on. So I was treated to a hotel room.

A shuttle picked myself and others stranded like me and took us to the hotel with the forboding name of Microtel. During the ride, a hippy-dippy couple in their mid-30s mentioned they had been held up because of Customs. It turned out they had some marijuana in one of their bags and was holding them in North Carolina until they would be charged. And one other thing: they were coming back from their honeymoon. Oh, those crazy lovebirds!

Microtel lived up to its name. I had a spacious 10-foot by 10-foot room, complete with a running toilet, conveniently located right next to the lobby. It was a long night.

I caught the first flight back the next morning, unfortunately my luggage didn't. It decided to come in in the early afternoon. Which left me just enough time to get back to my car and hit the afternoon D.C. traffic. It's been quite a trip back.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home